Tuesday 8 January 2013

Sketching over Christmas

The 3 week break for the winter holiday was lovely. It was wonderful to go home and spend quality time with my family, and it also meant I had the chance to do some personal sketches without worrying about project work!

The above was a birthday present I made for my brother, right at the end of our term. The line sketch of him and the guitarists that inspire him was done traditionally, before being scanned and having grey tones being added digitally on photoshop. I really enjoyed making this - it was something different for me, using block colours instead of realistic shading - however it took much longer than expected.

Since I enjoyed using my tablet to add to my traditional drawings I thought I'd give it another go, this time with a sketch of Ziio and Haytham, characters from the new game Assassin's Creed III. My first impression of the two was that Ziio was the tougher of the two, and so one pose reference and a few character references later.. this happened.

Another sketch with digital additions!
This was done as a warning to fellow foundation student Martin - whose New Year's resolution should be to not dump his things on Rachael's desk, otherwise I'll go all Assassin's Creed on his arse.

I managed to find some time away from my tablet and resorted to my desk to try my hand at pure traditional work, something I can't help feeling I've abandoned for quite a while. (Watercolour and colour pencil!) I'm not entirely sure what I was doing here, but there you go. Besides it's Chris Colfer and I have a weakness for drawing his face.
I may have gotten a little over-excited with the colour purple.

After having got such a buzz from the previous drawing, I immediately started a new one! This one is of Haytham Kenway from Assassin's Creed who I've decided is my new favourite character.
Sadly I may have overdone it with the colour pencils but at least I've put forward my love for him.

And sticking to my love for games - here's a sketch on photoshop of Vaas Montenegro from Far Cry 3. Because he likes to bust a few moves as he pours petrol all over the place, and no one burns people like he does. He certainly leaves an impression.

So to finish off 2012, here is a summary of my artwork from last year!

No comments:

Post a Comment